Noomachia (Serbia 2018) Lecture 4. Logos of Cybele
Lecture 4. Logos of Cybele.
- The Indo-European warriors invaded the sedentary people the major part of them were matriarchy society. Mary Gymbutas. Bachofen.
- The concept of paleo-european. The European population before the arrival of Turanian warriors.
- The major centers of matriarchal civilization were in Anatoly and in Balkans. There was ancient civilization of Cybele. The Mother Goddess had different names but the same Logos. The birth and death. So absence of features in the face and head of Goddess was sign that was of no importance. There was a Power of manifestation.
- The Goddes was immanent, chtonic, earthly. The male figures were absent. But there were the beasts – mostly two on both sides of Great Mother. After they were transformed in the half beast half human. They were possessions of Great Mother.
- The figure of Attis. There was female Androgyne Agdytis that has given birth to beautiful youth. Cybele has fallen in love with that youth. But he wanted to marry earthly woman. Jealous Cybele has put the madness on him. He castrated himself and died. Cybele has resurrected him. He is the priest of Her. The fate of man in the Cybelian world.
- Other type of male figure in Great Mother world is Titan. It is chthonic creatures with serpent features aggressing the Heaven. Dragon.
- Matriarchy is not the female version of male (Indo-European) domination. It is special type of society based on the euphimization, the use of euphemism. The death is life, the darkness is light, the pain is joy, the passive is active. Nocturne regime in Gilbert Durand sociology of imagination.
- The peasantry. The peasantry was based on the power of Earth co create the stalk of wheat, the stem of plant. The first farmers were women working as birth attendant (doula) rather than fertilizer. The hoe not the plow was main instrument. No animal horse neither bull was used.
- So the peasantry corresponds to the paleo-european matriarchy.
- When Indo-European invaders came from Turan to Anatoly and Balkans they have met with Great Mother – Chatal-Huyuk , Lepenski Vir, Vincha. That was the decisive moment of Noomahia. The struggle of heavenly gods with chtonic deities.
- The result of battle is appearance of European peasantry. The Mother was dethroned and submitted. The mixed society arrived. F.Junger says the divine order is created on the tops of the defeated Titans. It is not on the void. It is based on the subordinate nature of Great Mother.
Noomahia project is based on the in-depth studies of cultures, philosophical systems, arts, religions and psychological features and characteristics of human civilizations. It reviews ancient and modern, highly sophisticated and also the “primitive", from the highly technologically developed to those lacking the written language. The ultimate aim is to demonstrate and conclusively prove that no single culture can be regarded in hierarchical way (developed/under-developed, higher /lower, modern/premodern, civilized/savage and so on). Responsible evaluation of any human culture should be judged from within by those who belong to it - without any imposition of outside biases (interpretation is always culturally biased). Noomahia aims to achieve this by deconstructing, removing all elements of cultural racism and ethnocentrism, that tend to be the key feature of every and any society – whether it be liberal and traditional, religious or secular. Noomahia argues the case for the dignity of humanity that lives within the incommensurability of all existing cultural forms.
a. The Three Logos approach
The starting point - and the main feature of Noomahia - is the concept of Three main Logos (Noological paradigms) that define the structure of any culture. Three Logos are
· Apollonian (patriarchal, hierarchical, androcratic, vertical, exclusive, “heavenly”, transcendent) – light Logos;
· Dionysian (middle, androgyneous, ecstatic, immanent without materialism, balanced, dialectic) – dark Logos;
· Cybelian (matriarchical, horizontal, gynekocratic, inclusive, chthonic, immanent, materialistic) – black Logos.
The idea is the all three Logos are present in any culture, but are irreducible (invariants) that always keep their distinct essence. Hence the concept of Noomahia – or the fight between the Three Logos - is the dynamic of the creation of the moments of cultural and historic dialectic. These are variable in the timeline of history of any culture and develop in differing stages and phases. There is no universal rule that has or can define the succession and duration of these phases and moments. Each culture and civilization has its own and unique sequence of the process of Noomahia, with particularities of winning or defeated Logos that result in them eventually changing their role. Therefore, each culture must be studied and assessed separately, individually and with considerable care, avoiding any temptation to project the structure of one own studied experience on other issues. The rejection of ethnocentrism should be radical and brought to the last logical conclusion.
b. Plurality of civilizations (anthropology of big spaces and long cycles)
The second principle of Noomahia project is the defining of the field of research and the limits of civilization. The concept of civilization is cultural and based on the presumption of the coexistence among the people of the earth of different existential circles (or horizons) identified as the plurality of Dasein’s.
The deep study of each civilization demands the questioning of previous interpretations of history and the development of humankind: it is a kind of spiritual emigration to the study of civilization that removes all the presumptions and pre-conceptions linked the personal cultural nature of those who study this approach. It is the application of the anthropological method (developed by F. Boaz and C. Levy-Strauss) to all human societies without exception – “civilized” or “savage “.
After accepting the need to ‘clear the decks’ and remove the accepted mental clutter of historical analysis; the next step will be clarification of the spatial concept of the culture of studied civilization and the semantic sequence (“l’historial”, Seynsgeschichte) of the most significant events interpreted in the optic of the concrete people and culture (and not by outside observer).
2. Anthropological mapping of the world
a. The necessity of revision of the concept universality
It has taken 10 years just to arrive at the point of being able to describe the plurality civilizations of the world covering all continents and peoples, cultures and religions, societies and philosophies. It is only the first rung of a long ladder but already there is a deep sense that we are starting to discover ‘The Unusual’. This in itself shows that we need the completely revise our concept of universality. It is clear that from these studies of Noomahia that is very evident that to date we have not normally been dealing with the ‘real universalism’ (speaking about human, rights, norms, life, sexes progress and so on) but with an ethno centrist projection of our own (Western) culture and civilization taking it erroneously for being “universal”. This is fundamental fault of the present-day globalization: it is deeply “racist” (in cultural sense), projecting and imposing modern and post-modern Western set of values on the majority of the rest of mankind. The real universalism can be reached by the way of projection but in dialogue with ‘The Other’, who in turn is accepted with all its particularities, pecularities and originalities (not depending on our own value judgement). We must not be selective in what we analyse. We must all investigate with clear eyes and unprejudiced minds – and maintain this understanding and impartiality going forward.